Tuesday, April 5, 2011

3rd Interview

Interview Process:
This was going to be my last interview and I had no idea where to find someone. The people I had interviewed before did not answer my email because they had their own school work to worry about. I was thinking about who would be a good person to interview. I then remembered about someone that I met in high school. She moved here when she was 10. Her name is Betty Vo. I had met Betty in one of my classes in 10th grade. I reconnected with her on facebook. I went home for a weekend and was able to meet up with her. We then conducted the interview on March 26th, 2011 at her house.


Review of Interview:
The interview was very low-key and fun. It was nice to reconnect with a friend that I had not seen since high school. I was able to get more into the idea of how she felt about her home country. I had never really thought about how she felt about China, but now I had the chance to truly see how she feels. Betty doesn't remember a lot about her home country. But she does remember some parts of it. This might not have been the best interview I have done but I feel that it was a great thing for me to do.

Cultural background paper:
There are many different aspects of Chinese culture. Looking at some different background facts, I was able to see how different Chinese culture is from my own. While looking at the Chinese culture, I was able to look more in depth in to the holidays that are important, food, and some basic philosophy of the Chinese culture.
Chinese culture is one of the oldest cultures in existence. It has a recorded history as early as 1700 BC. Many of the traditions and beliefs in current Chinese culture have been shaped by their ancient history. This paper will explore some of the aspects of the traditional culture as well as the modern culture of China.
 Though many parts of the Chinese culture are more modern today, there are still many aspects of the traditional culture present. They still hold traditional festivals to pay tribute to the ancient history. They have many original sounds in their current music and they still observe traditional art designs in many stores. Chinese culture is almost split into two subcultures. Some people still live a very simple and traditional style life with very little technology while other people have adopted a much more modern style of life that includes some of the world’s latest technology. However, even the more modern style of life still has a rich inheritance of the traditional culture.
The Chinese new year is the most important of all the traditional holidays. It is referred to as the Spring Festival. It is a fifteen day celebration that begins on the first day of the new year and ends on the full moon fifteen days later. Since the Chinese calendar is based on solar and lunar movements, the Chinese new year falls on a different day each year. The dates can range from January 21 to February 20. The Chinese calendar is made up of five cycles that last twelve years. This creates a full sixty year cycle. Some other Chinese festivals include The Lantern Festival, The Dragon Boat Festival, and the Mid-Autumn Festival. Traditional Chinese Festivals are one of the strongest bonds the make up the Chinese culture.
Chinese pharmacies are much different than those of the American culture. A typical Chinese pharmacy will have many plant, animal, and mineral products that are very neatly organized throughout the store in little drawers. Many different combinations can be blended to fill the prescription given by a doctor.
Food is also an important aspect of Chinese culture. They try to cook with three to five colors in one setting. They eat their food based on the aroma, texture, and color. They don’t just eat with their mouths, they eat with their eyes. When looking at China, it is easy to divide it into two parts, with them being the north and south. When doing so you can see that the north and south have different types of things that they eat.
Pastas are a big part of the northern part of China. They seem to have more oily products in their diets. While on the south side, they seem to have more spicy food. They like to use chili peppers in a lot of their dishes. This is where you will find something like rice being a main stable food for them. Along with what they eat for food being traditional, there is also a tradition for how you eat your food. They eat while sitting down. They also have a certain way that they sit down. The order is from oldest to youngest, and men to woman.
The mind is more important to the Chinese culture than materials are. Wealth is something that you do not benefit from. It is a nice thing to be wealthy, but it is not something that you value. Confucius is someone that had an important impact on the Chinese culture. He sought out to discover the nature of human beings. He thought that there should be one ruler over all of the people, and he was a strong believer in justice. Mencius, one of Confucius disciples, believed that all humans possessed a good nature at birth. He stated that the environment around them is what corrupted men. 
The Yin-Yang is a symbolic symbol for the Chinese culture. Happiness is the balance between the yin and the yang. The yin is seen to be the symbol for feminism, earthy, and wet. While the yang is seen as a symbol for heavenly, men, dry, and light. When you have the right balance between the two you are seen to be happy.
I think that the whole idea Chinese culture is a good one. I feel that if cultures looked more into what other cultures had to offer then maybe we would see the common ground that we share between the two, or if we just understood each other’s culture a little more we might be able to better understand each other. I think that the idea of them taking most of what they base their culture on from the past is a good idea. Just goes along with the saying, “If you don’t learn your history, you’re doomed to repeat it.”

I got my information for the above paper from three different websites:
1)  http://www.cultural-china.com/ visited 2/23/11
3)  http://www.chineseculture.net/ visited 2/23/11
Interview:
Stephanie: What was the hardest thing about transitioning to the U.S.?
Betty: The hardest thing was moving here and leaving all my friends. It was hard to come to a new place when I didn't want to move. I loved home, but I didn't have a choice of if I wanted to go or not. My parents moved here because our family was here, so that made it easier on me, but it was still hard leaving all my friends.
Stephanie: So your family came here to be with family?
Betty: Yes, we came here for family, but ended up loving it here. I miss my family and friends back home, but we make sure we go back every two years for a month during the summer. I love this because I still get to see my friends from my childhood and family that mean to much to me.
Stephanie: What is your opinion of the American diet?
Betty: When I first came here, I was shocked about the food, but now that I have been here for 11 years, it tastes amazing. I am used to the food, and don't see the need to make my own food like my parents still do.
Stephanie: What were your preconceptions about the U.S. before coming here and how have they changed?
Betty: I didn't have many because I was so young, but I know that my parents must have heard some good things, if they decided to move our whole family here.
Stephanie: What are your personal experiences with racism since coming to the U.S.?
Betty: I have had no problems. I have heard about others having problems, but I consider myself lucky for not.
Stephanie: What are some cultural differences between your country and here?
Betty: I consider this home now. I think of this as my country. I have been here majority of my life now. The things i miss from home would be the food. I do love how it tastes. I might think of american food as good, but I still love my home food,
Stephanie: Who takes care of the finances in your family?
Betty: My dad does majority of the finances, but my mother does help him out when he does.
Stephanie: What is customary in your family for dating?
Betty: My dad is very strict about who I can date, and when I could start dating. School work must always come first. You are not allowed to go out on a weeknight because we are supposed to be doing our homework and getting other things done around the house. I am not allowed to do as I please because I do not live at home, but I still try to do what is best for my future and stay away from dates on the weekdays.
Stephanie: What do you like mose about your home culture?
Betty: The importance of my family is a big deal to me. I love how my family is close. I would not trade my family for anything. They mean the world to me and I think that sometimes americans do not see how important your family is.
Stephanie: Do you think learning english is difficult?
Betty: I felt that it could be difficult at times to learn new words.I have now been speaking it for so long, that it is not new to me anymore. I studied alot of words when i first came here.
Stephanie: How often do you contact your family back home?
Betty: I talk to my family in China as much as I can. We usually try to talk to them when we can and we write letters with my family. I try to skype my cousins as much as I can.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment